Tuesday I had an follow-up appointment with my oncologist. Everything was looking good, PRAISE GOD! :) Before doctor visits, they draw blood and analyze cancer antigens in my blood. They had plotted the progress of these on a graph for me which showed that the tumor markers show that things are apparently shrinking. I already "knew" that based on the fact I feel so much better and the fact that you are praying for me!
Anyway, the basic conversation was that I will continue on chemo thru the year (end of Feb). I have tests scheduled at the end of October. I have another MUGA scan and a PET scan. The PET scan will give the true "inside information". So, the appointment was very positive and I got the feeling that they plan to keep me on the same chemo drug (Taxotere). I will also continue the Herceptin (biological drug) as long as it doesn't affect my heart. I am not good at telling you exactly what these drugs are supposed to do and what they are for specifically.....I just know that they are my route to getting better.
Since I am still not having major side effects from these drugs, Tuesday's visit was good news for me. I am able to be "normal" while going thru this and that means so much to me. I talked to a lady in the lab waiting room Tuesday and she thought I'd just started chemo because I had my hair! I told her I'd been coming for 7 months. She had just finished her chemo and was back for blood work and talking about her hair starting to grow back. I am so blessed!
I do lose handfuls of hair at a time, and it got really thin in the spring, but it's growing back and every now and then my scalp really hurts if I touch it. When I touch my head it feels like I've worn a pony tail too tight for a long time. If I don't touch my head, I don't notice it. It's just really weird. The other thing that's weird about my chemo is that my muscles twitch a lot, in places that it feels really weird. Sometimes even my scalp twitches, but it's mostly my abdominals, eyelids and arms. Then, sometimes it feels like bugs are crawling all over me and that creeps me out. I don't like bugs on my skin and to feel like they are there, well, it's just creepy. Other than that, I physically feel better than a year ago. The weight I lost when I was diagnosed in Feb. has stayed off and I think that has helped somewhat. I had a lot of pulled muscle feelings last year -- my back was sore, my arms and legs would hurt and I don't have that now. I don't know if it was the extra weight I had or the cancer causing it. I just know that I feel good. I still try to do too much........it's hard to stop.
Thanks again for your prayers, calls, cards, emails, etc. I try to answer the emails, but sometimes I have to ban myself from this computer to get other things done that really need my attention!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Praise God! I'm glad to hear that all is well as can be expected.
Thanks for telling us about your hair. That is one question I've had, but didn't want to ask!
Great news, Jenny! I continue to admire you so much for your positive attitude and faith. God has richly blessed me with a friend like you. :)
What great reports! I'd like to see that graph of everything getting better (must be a 'visual learner' or something). It must be really encouraging to look and feel normal under the circumstances - it is so amazing and definitely an answer to prayer.
Glad to hear your good news! It is great to hear these wonderful answered prayers. Keep us informed and we'll continue the prayers for you, your family, and your support team!
Post a Comment