Sunday, June 29, 2008

I've Added to My "Things I've Done" List

Well, I can now add a trip to the Emergency Room to my "Things I've Done" list! I've only been to the ER once and that was to take Jeff when he dislocated a finger playing basketball when we first got married.....................

My whole family (including my mom who is helping us out) has come down with a very nasty cold over the past week. I sprayed Lysol everywhere, didn't kiss on the kids much, slept on the couch to avoid Jeff, washed pillow cases and covers every day, and washed my hands all the time.....I still got it. Friday I felt icky, just like a cold. Then the coughing started......

Saturday, I woke up with chills and took Tylenol. I felt fine until about 3 or so and laid down for a nap. When I woke up about 6 pm, I knew I had a bad fever. Yep, 101.4. Not good, not good at all for a chemo patient - supposed to call the dr. anytime you reach 100.5 or higher. So, Jeff called the dr.'s office to find out what to do. The on call dr. never called back. Jeff called back and finally got to talk to him. This was about 8:30. He said he had attempted to call and no one answered.....we were here. I had the phone right beside me in the bed. Anyway, he told us to go to the emergency room, so I quickly packed a bag in case they decided to keep me. I had taken Tylenol again about 6:30, so my fever had come down and I was feeling much better.

Upon arrival at the ER (about 9:30 pm), they took vitals, then we met with the triage nurse who said she wanted us to wait for a private room. So we waited a while. Then we got to our room. The nurse came in and talked to us and then we waited to see the dr. I ended up having a chest x-ray to see if I had pneumonia and then they accessed my port to draw blood. I did not have pneumonia, but they treated me as if I did. I got an IV of antibiotics and took Zithromax while there. I finish up the Zithromax this week and have to visit my oncologist for a follow up. My fever never came back the whole time we were there. I'm so glad they didn't admit me!!!

Jeff and I got home at 4 am........I can't remember the last time we pulled an all-nighter together, and this one wasn't even fun! The nurse did laugh at us because Jeff laid on the bed with me in the ER so we could rest! (The chairs were so uncomfortable.) He told us no funny stuff was allowed........like after 15 years of marriage something would take place THERE anyway. ha ha

I feel great today, but Mom is feeling really yucky today. Jeff and the boys are about done with this. I sprayed Lysol all over again today...........I'm beginning to wonder if it really works.

So, I'm guessing since I feel better, I'll still have chemo on Tuesday. My blood counts were good for a chemo patient last night, so I doubt I'll get out of it! July 1 will be treatment #15 and July 8 is my "off" week.

Thanks for keeping me (and my family) in your prayers!

3 comments:

Loree said...

Oh good, nothing too serious. I'm sure as hard as you try, things like this will happen ... well, I guess do happen.

Sydni said...

Oh, man! I had to laugh at the part of 'funny stuff' going on in the ER bed. You just are too much! Hahhaa. Anyway, I really hope everyone (including your mom) feels way better soon. Let me know what you decide about Lysol. Maybe if nothing else it makes us feel like we're doing SOMETHING.

Michelle said...

Use the Lysol wipes- I think they work better than the spray.

I'm glad it wasn't too awful for you!