Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dr. visit

I saw the oncologist yesterday and there are really no changes in my status at this time. I didn't get the copy of my PET/CT scan while I was there, but she said it was pretty much the same as the last one. Not BAD news, but nothing great. I am happy that there are no new places anywhere, but there's no improvement either. I knew I would eventually get to this point so I'm just a little bummed.

I asked about when I might need surgery. She said that there's no need unless I really want to do it or I'm having pain or problems with the tumor itself. She said there is no proven research in breast cancer that shows at Stage IV (metastatic) that removal of the tumor will benefit getting rid of the cancer altogether. So, surgery for mastectomy is my choice. Right now, my choice is no cutting on my body.

Also, she commented that if the next PET (June 10) shows about the same results, I will be changing my chemotherapy again. Unfortunately, I will go back to infused chemo. But for now, all stays the same.

I still feel wonderful (compared to the past year and longer). I just have to keep the mental battle in perspective and continue to do whatever I can with my diet and exercise to keep the cancer from growing and spreading. Your prayers are a definite blessing in my life as well, so please continue those! :-)

****************************

Habakkuk 3:17-19 (NKJV)

Though the fig tree may not blossom,
Nor fruit be on the vines;
Though the labor of the olive may fail,
And the fields yield no food;
Though the flock may be cut off from the fold,
And there be no herd in the stalls--
Yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will joy in the God of my salvation.
The Lord God is my strength;
He will make me walk on my high hills.

2 comments:

Sydni said...

What a fabulous scripture! I guess I'll focus on that things didn't get worse and go from there. You're so amazing and our prayers are with you!

Laura said...

At least there was no change for the worse.. we will just pray harder for you.