Thursday, April 9, 2009

April 8 Update

Yesterday I went to my oncologist's office. Unfortunately, she was not in so I was not able to speak directly to her about the results of my last PET/CT scan. I did talk to the PA in depth. I have not posted the info from that report until now because I had many questions regarding the results. I had called the office a week or so after the scan and told "no significant changes" by a nurse. That didn't satisfy me, so I went to medical records and got a copy of the report.

Basically, the majority of the changes on the scan showed increased metabolic activity in my cancer spots. There was one new area in my left breast but everything else was unchanged. The mass in my left breast is still not able to be measured because it's so asymmetrical now.

This news is not as great as what I've received in the past, but it's not terrible either. There are no new areas of concern. The PA words were the bone cancer is "smoldering". The breast cancer, well, it's still there. I asked her if she had an idea of where I may be in my journey with my disease. Her response was that I'm probably about 2/3 thru treatment. I'm actually ready for surgery, but I'm not sure where I am in that journey yet either. She said that my next visit I would be able to see the oncologist and talk directly to her about my questions.

I'm due for another PET/CT scan the last week of April, along with an oncologist visit, an EKG and MUGA scan.

For now, treatment continues with no changes. Thanks for your prayers, calls, cards, emails, etc. I continue to apologize for not updating as often as I used to! I'm just staying very busy with the boys (this week is Spring Break for Gunner) and I'm trying to get things organized that I neglected for so long. I don't plan to write again til after the next round of tests. Love you all!

*************

This is a long scripture and it's actually referring to the persecution of Christians, but I believe we can still apply it to ourselves as individuals too. Believe me, I fight the devil every day!! Don't you?

I Peter 5:5-11 (NKJV)

"Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for

'God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.' (Prov. 3:34)

Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. To Him be the glory and the dominion for ever and ever. Amen."

1 comment:

Sydni said...

Well, I wish you could have talked to the oncologist.... BUT at least there are no "new areas of concern" and the news of having completed 2/3 of your treatment sounds good.... thanks for this update.

1 Peter is among my most favorite books of the Bible.